Saturday 22 August 2015

Coconut Shy Truffles

A recipe inspired by the funfair in Bree McCready and the Realm of the Lost

My big sister is feeling a bit under the weather. Booo! So I have an excuse to make her favourite goodies. Yeah!




In the third Bree McCready book - Bree McCready and the Realm of the Lost - the funfair at Ramthorpe Junior School is where all the strange things start to happen. But before they do there are some fun things too, including scary rides, fireworks and yummy treats. I have a few ideas for recipes to tie in with the funfair theme so watch this space! In the meantime here is what you'll need to make my scrummy Coconut Shy Truffles:


Ingredients

125g of butter
200g  of condensed milk
2 tablespoons of hot chocolate powder
125g of dessicated coconut (and some more for decoration)
20 Digestive biscuits (I used 10 plain and 10 chocolate)

Chocolate sprinkles (decoration)
White chocolate (decoration)



Method 







Weigh out 125g of butter and add this to a saucepan.










Add 200g of Condensed Milk. I used the kind that comes in a squeezy bottle to reduce waste...and to stop me from licking the tin!

Place the pan on a very low heat and melt these two ingredients together, stirring occasionally.





Meanwhile, weigh out 125g of coconut. Then...









 ...put the biscuits in a sturdy food bag, making sure all the air is out of the bag before you seal it. 


Then... 








THWACK! with a rolling pin...  

Take the melted butter and milk off the heat...








..and 2 tablespoons of chocolate powder.








Stir this in well. You will notice the mixture thicken a little.

Now add the coconut.

 

 
Stir the coconut in until every shred is covered. Then add the smashed up biscuits. I like to do this a bit at a time as adding too much can make the mixture thick and impossible for the truffles to hold their shape. If the mixture is too mushy you can always add more biscuits but it's difficult to take the biscuits out!

Once the mixture is very well stirred and every crumb is covered it's time to roll the truffles!

I always do my best to make the truffles roughly the same size. I squeeze them gently and roll them then toss them in a food bag which has been filled with coconut or sprinkles. This time, as a special treat, I also melted some white chocolate and drizzled it over plain truffles.

A stack of truffles

 
Judging by the smile I got when I presented the bag of finished truffles I think these were just what the doctor ordered. Get well soon, sis!

Coconut Shy Truffles - Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment